The Hurunui Heartland Cycle Ride is an on-road route that you can ride to your desire, either a multi-day explore or an epic one-day trip.
Newly established (opened April 2019) by Trails Coordinator Mark Inglis, the Hurunui Heartland Ride can be ridden in either direction.
The ride crosses a diverse range of landscapes and passes a variety of significant historical sites and attractions. From south to north (Amberley to Kaikoura), highlights include vineyards, limestone outcrops, large pastoral farms, tussock land, creeks and rivers and into the mountain ranges at Lyford, then continuing down the Inland Road to the rugged and beautiful coast at Kaikoura, the Seaward Kaikoura Mountain Range towering over your left shoulder. Relax and catch your breath in the scenic seaside town of Kaikoura and explore the Kaikoura trail.
A 36km detour takes you to the Hanmer Springs alpine village with hot pools and access to magnificent high country cycling routes.
The roads are generally quiet, but care should be taken as vehicles could be encountered at any time. Tailor the journey to your level of fitness and skill; significant climbs and gravel sections require reasonable fitness and skill. The ride is grade 3 (intermediate).
Map & GPS
- Diverse scenery; large North Canterbury plains, mountains and all the way down to the ocean
- Interesting historic attractions
- Follows a historic inland road
- Low traffic country roads
- Ride through small country communities
- Accommodation; campsites, B&Bs, farm stays, motels and hotels
- Cafes and shops in the towns on the ride
- Connect with Hanmer Springs for the St James Cycle Trail, Molesworth Muster and Rainbow Trail